Sunday, February 20, 2011

Right to Refuse Medical Treatment (Response to Mariah Key's blog)

Link to original post.
"If we weren't meant to seek medical attention for such ailments (or even take medication), why would they have been created in the first place?"

Different religions have different views of medicine. For example, many people who follow the faith of Christian Science believe that prayer can help heal illnesses and often will reject medicines or surgery as treatment.. While I personally would never do that, we must respect everyone's right to do as they wish with their own body until it harms another. (i.e. if a parent refuses medical treatment of a minor.) By looking down on their refusal to accept treatment, we in turn give everyone else the right to look down on our own religious preferences. Why go to church every Sunday? Why don't you eat meat on Fridays during Lent? Refusing to take medicine is the same thing, a personal belief that one follows to become closer to their God.
As to why medicine would have been created if we weren't meant to use it, that's also as simple as religious beliefs. For me, I believe that humans created/discovered medicine through trial and error, not from the help of any God. Not everyone believes that, but maybe not everyone believes that God created medicine either. Until it harms another besides the person themselves, we really can't really  condemn anyone for refusing science and medicine. If we hold beliefs, others have the right to hold ones that differ from our own.

-Do parents have the right to refuse medical treatment to their children if they have religious reasoning for it?

1 comment:

  1. Religious beliefs and parental rights regarding a child’s medical treatment is a very touchy area. I believe that it depends on the condition of the child. If the doctor thinks the child can heal or become healthy again without the condition worsening and with the lack of treatment then the parents should have rights. But when it comes to things like cancer this is when there is a lot of controversy. I believe if the child has a life threatening condition then the doctor should have the right to overrule the parents or if the child is old enough to understand what is happening the child should have the right to decide whether or not he wants treatment. Either way there are still some problems to work out. For example if the doctor or the child overrides the parents who is responsible for the bill. Also I can guarantee that for the doctor it would raise some ethical issues. So no matter what I don’t believe there is a good solution to this problem because it will just lead to more problems all which could lead to a court date. But I believe if the government intervened people would still have problems. All I know is that if it was me I could not watch a child die no matter what the situation…it’s just wrong!

    Question:

    Do how you feel about the government intervening when it comes to this issue??

    ReplyDelete