Link to original post.
"Although hygiene is very important do you think it is right to discriminate people in the workforce based on beauty instead of qualifications??"
I don't believe that it's ever right to hire someone because they are more beautiful than others applying for the same job, but I do understand where it's coming from. Some jobs that are more people oriented and require a person who looks more pleasant. Of course, it's wrong to discriminate based on looks, but when you think about it, certain jobs require interaction with people and yes, qualifications are important, but sometimes job qualifications are to be beautiful. For example, people who become models are deemed by society as attractive.
Grossness, however, is incredibly different from ugliness. People, especially in the service fields, proper hygiene is a must. I feel much more comfortable around someone who is tidy than a slob. It's a form of socially acceptable discrimination. Maybe in fields where you are not out in the open it's fine, but if you're going to be interacting with customers, I feel like it is a part of the job description. That's why jobs, such as cashiers, often require you to wear uniforms.
Question: If teachers, cashiers, and other service oriented careers require hygiene, should the people utilizing the services be obligated to be clean as well?
To bluntly answer your question, YES people who use these services should practice good hygiene as well as the employees, especially when the customers are the ones who complain when an employee isn’t clean. Just like the customers, the employees don’t want to have to try to hold their breath while dealing with a customer who may have bad body odor or bad breath. Another complaint as an employee I have is when customers have dirty hands and try to hand you money…I don’t want to touch that especially when there is lint and hair and dirty and who knows what else mixed in with it. Even people who have dirty clothes or who haven’t brushed their hair or teeth gross me out. If we as employees have to be clean than customers have to be clean too…double standards don’t fly with me at all…when it comes to hygiene there are no exceptions.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel there are any exceptions to double standards??