Sunday, April 17, 2011

Free Speech

I am very happy that I am pretty much allowed to say what I want. I think others are pretty happy to have the same right too. Recently, however, it was Day of Silence and a friend of mine (not on this campus) was participating this year for the first time. She was silent all day and I'm very proud of her, but during the day, a person whom she was friends with came up to her and said that he hated gay people. She was angry, but she didn't say anything, and while I personally was appalled too when I heard the story, it's unfortunately, it's his opinion.
I have also been seeing a lot of groups on Facebook petitioning anti-gay and anti-troops groups on Facebook. My friends have been inviting me to them, but I never join them. Why? While, yes, I personally vehemently disagree, but other people have the right to think what they want. If we start to remove things we don't like, when will we stop? No one likes to be censored, and frankly, I think we should let the ignorance be as public as possible.

Question: Do you think the government should have control over what we post on the Internet?

2 comments: