Sunday, April 17, 2011

Response to Brittany Guntor's post (Spring Cleaning)

Link to original post.
"Do you think a majority of people want to live this type of lifestyle? Why do others cling to material objects tat serve no purpose? What about hoarders?"

I don't think that not having a lot of possessions would be ideal for everyone. I actually believe that more people have a desire to be settled. I, for example, love little knick-knacks. I have a line of little things that decorate my desk. You know, just small things that make me happy. I also have posters and pictures on my wall. My blankets and sheets are my favorite color. Yes, the "traveler's lifestyle" may sound romantic and it may have worked for nomads in the past, but we must be realistic. Think about all the things that you own that serve no real purpose, such as photos. Would you want to get rid of a scrapbook full of memories because it doesn't fit in your backpack? I certainly wouldn't. Part of my belief is that people may want this kind of lifestyle until they found a place they'd like to settle down to or until they've seen everything they've wanted to see.
Hoarding, however, is a serious illness. I was watching a show about it one time and a woman said that she hoarded out of fear of not being able to help her family. This woman hoarded so much food, more food than she would have needed to survive. And in the video embedded below, a man says that as soon as he would throw something away, he would "need it."
Question: Are you comfortable where you live right now? What would it take for you to be comfortable?

No comments:

Post a Comment