Link to original post.
"Do people of other cultures have different views on what is and is not acceptable in terms of feeling comfortable? Are their thresholds so drastically different than ours?"
I think there is definitely a difference in feeling comfortable not only in different cultures, but in different social-economic classes as well. In a sense, social-economic classes can seem completely different from each other as well. For example, my boyfriend has a friend who is incredibly wealthy and he once told me about a dinner party he went to that they hosted and how they had incredibly strict rules when it came to dinner etiquette. However, I myself grew up in a working class environment, so whenever I seem to find myself in situations with more than one fork, I flounder.
I don't think that it's the big things that make us so different. No, we're pretty much the same when it comes to being home. We have people or persons who care about us there, most frequently known as family, and our possessions. We tend to show a different side of ourselves at home than when we do in other places. But because we show a different side of ourselves there, we must be comfortable. When it comes to living with different people, especially in college settings, we must ask ourselves, "Can I be comfortable there?" We have different things that make us comfortable. Your potential housemate, for example, might have issues with strangers, so having strangers around might make what is supposed to be their sanctuary instead a nightmare. And maybe being around people who are of a different religion makes them uncomfortable, too. We surround ourselves with what is familiar simply because it easier for us to bear, even if it's not easier to do..
Question: We as humans go out of our way to make ourselves feel comfortable in situations. Can we justify going to such extremes?
No comments:
Post a Comment