Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Response to Kim Pincus's blog post (Non-human animals)

Link to original post.
"Why do you think so many humans feel they are superior to non-human animals?"

I think why people feel that they are better than non-human animals is because some cannot form bonds of understanding with them. When I am at home, I often go out of my way for my cats, Rascal and Gizmo. Sometimes, my dad gets irritated when I am up late at night calling them in or letting them out saying, "it's just a cat." But he knows, and I know, and most people with pets know that dogs, cats, ferrets, birds, and etc. are all  feeling, have their own likes and dislikes, and (I think) can love. However, when the non-human species becomes more simple, it is harder to form that connection.
People also do not look at the achievements of animals without bias. A reason why humans are so successful are because we work in groups and are completely globalized. It is in the natures of many animals not to be in groups. Spiders may not be able to use computers, but they use the skills they know to make a web. The only reason why we know how to build homes is because the humans before us through long periods of time helped us make the designs of them, one generation at a time.
I think that's why some people feel superior to animals, because we have a vast bank of knowledge accumulated from those before us, while animals don't. There are many other reasons, like perhaps that they don't seen to be religious.
Question:  What do you think makes us superior to non-human animals?

No comments:

Post a Comment