Sunday, February 6, 2011

Online Personalities

If you go to a young person's profile on any social networking website, you might find that in their About Me section, they write that they find themselves unique. Perhaps they might post a large section of blurbs of things that they believe make them original or special. However, oftentimes, you encounter these people in real life and find that they conform to certain standards to appeal to larger masses. Why do people act this way? Is it because while online, while many people can access your info, the people who do look at it alone? Is it because being different in a large group is much harder in person? I, too, find myself acting differently online than I do in person. When I have to write an About Me section, I find the things that I like about myself and put them in a way to make me look more appealing. Of course, the things are true about me, but the way it's worded is almost deceiving. Maybe in our About Mes, we post what we wish our personality was like. Maybe we're trying to attract potential mates and/or friends. Maybe it's even an attempt to console ourselves because we cannot always be or express what we'd like to in real life.

How does the personality that you see in yourself compare to the personality that others see in you? Do you find yourself altering what you think or say to appeal to others? Have you ever thought that you aren't who you think you are around others?

No comments:

Post a Comment