"If your life were suddenly free from a constricting time schedule, do you think you would get more done? Would your stress level decrease or increase?"
I've seen in myself, as well as others, that when given no boundaries or even a schedule, that I tend to accomplish nothing of value. I personally like having a schedule, because I don't trust myself to the point that I can get things done if I don't have one. I work more slowly when I have no time limit and I often slack off. With time, we know how to pace ourselves. Of course, it depends on the personality, some people are more hardworking than others, but for many, we don't like to work as hard if we don't have to.
In a pottery class I took when I was in high school, we had a very lax schedule. Rather than doing one project as a class and then moving on, we were assigned three or four projects that were due at the end of each grading period. It was up to us to start whenever, but if you waited too long, you might not have had enough time for your clay pieces to dry to be fired and then glazed. Many people slacked off during classes, thinking they had plenty of time to throw the pieces and some people didn't have enough time to create all the pieces they needed and got poor grades as a result of it. Having a schedule may not be fun, but it prevents people's lives from spiraling out of control.
Time also helps us operate as a global society. We can easily find out what time it is in any country in the world and everyone is on the same page, even though there are time zone differences.
Question: Do you believe that time is a strictly human invention?
No comments:
Post a Comment