Sunday, May 8, 2011

Response to Kim Pincus's blog post (Music and the brain)

Link to original post.
Do you feel music should make us think more or feel more?

I think that music should makes us think more OR feel more, depending on the music we're listening to, but I think it honestly depends on the person. I am one of those people who doesn't really focus on the lyrics; I have trouble understanding/hearing them, so I don't usually make them the main focus. I also enjoy listening to instrumental music and music from foreign languages. Since I don't understand everything I listen to, I feel more than think, usually.
However, I think a song is successful when the artist or artists have an intention and the listener gets that said intention. Whether that is to think about a certain subject, feel sad, or whatever, then that's what we feel or think. Also, I think that music is up for interpretation. Whatever music triggers in us doesn't seem wrong to me. For example, at the bottom of this post is a video of a song that always gives me goosebumps without fail. I don't know if it has the same effect on everyone though...

No comments:

Post a Comment